1 June 2016

PHY (2015): THE MORTAL's members on Atsushi Sakurai

Excerpts taken from PHY vol. 5 (November, 2015)
Interviewer: Kenichiro Yagami
Originally translated by: Pikopiko (Спасибо большое за вашу замечательную работу!)
English translation by: Natalus


Yukio Murata


PHY: What was your first impression of Sakurai-san?
YM: At first, he seemed to me like a true gentleman. As one of his fans, I also used to think that he is a real Prince of the Underworld *smile* but in fact he turned out to be incredibly good and lovely… I began to adore him even more. He’s unusually attractive.
PHY: Can you say that working with Sakurai-san at this time has deepened your understanding of what kind of person he is?
YM: No, not yet… it needs more time. He is still inapprehensible for me. He has a very sensitive nature. Also he is always so caring…
PHY: At what moment did you feel that?
YM: 11 years ago, after finishing a recording, he asked me out for a drink. We were about to sit at the bar when he pulled out a chair for me…
PHY: Ahahahahahah!
YM: And said: “Murata-san, please have a seat.” I was like “What are you doing? Please stop!”… Honestly, he is too good for this world. No matter how much of a “man” you consider yourself to be, when Sakurai-san pulls out a chair for you, you start to feel like a girl *smile*.

Jake Cloudchair


PHY: Do you agree that he is not necessarily gloomy and difficult man with a dark soul? He’s incredibly kind and gentle.
JC: Indeed. He usually doesn’t talk about any kind of gloomy things, just the most ordinary things of everyday life, like a family *smile*. In 2004, he almost didn’t talk about that. Perhaps, he went in this direction as a result of the fact that all those years he has been living his everyday life. The album has become a testimony to this. Through understanding and accepting that, I can understand Sakurai-san. Due to the everydayness he is able to be resolute and consistent in the moment when he becomes deeply immersed into the world of darkness. After hearing that I switch myself into this mode too, I think.
PHY: It’s dark but it’s tempting.
JC: That’s right. “Tempting” is a very suitable word.

Miyo Ken


PHY: What is it like to work together with such vocalist as Sakurai-san?
MK: I also work with Kiyoharu and after this experience I can say that at the very moment when such an inimitable singer starts to sing or at least produces a sound, he takes it all. No matter how astounding the intro would be, it’s guided by sensing the presence of voice and when it starts sounding, the song becomes owned by that person. It’s the same with Sakurai-san. I was sure that at the moment he utters the first sound, he colors any melody with his voice.
                                                           ***
PHY: What do you think makes him so magical?
MK: His looks. His aura… and probably his romantic appeal. Of course, we must not forget about his singing skills, but it’s this typical romantic quality that I love most about him.
PHY: In your opinion, what kind of person is he?
MK: If there is one word to describe him, then he is the gentleman. Without a doubt. Moreover, he is a handsome man so no one has power to overcome him *smile*
                                                            ***
PHY: Didn’t you transpose songs to key that would be easier for Sakurai-san to sing, not even once?  I hope that he didn’t ask you to change anything, not because he would prefer to endure it. After all, you are the group.
MK: At the time of recording when I heard him singing, I drew attention to the way he knows how to build a whole world of lyrics and mood, regardless of whether the key was comfortable for him or not. There was a moment when I couldn’t help thinking: “This is how we are doing it, it’s not a pop! Does Bauhas change the key? I’m sure they don’t, under any circumstances *smile*.

Takahiko Akiyama 


PHY: When you started working, what the singer Atsushi Sakurai turned out to be as a person?
TA: He is a professional. Still, the fact that he’s been working this way for 30 years means that he has an incredible power of persuasion. At the time we began with a vocal test recording, the world of each song has been already fully built. Such people are very rare. Therefore…I don’t know if it’s appropriate to say it like this, but I wished to commit myself to Sakurai-san.
PHY: “I will do everything in my power for the sake of this man.”
TA: Yes. I almost never have such feelings. We all have been engaged in our own business for a long time, each for himself. But in regard to Sakurai-san, I had a desire to devote myself to him.
PHY: The fact, that BUCK-TICK continues working for more than 20 years, also provokes an effort to do everything possible for someone like Sakurai-san, right?
TA: That’s right.
PHY: On the other hand, there’s often a clash of personalities in the group. That’s why the playing in a band is so exciting, but at the same that’s the reason why only a few people succeed.
TA: Maybe it’s also a matter of working process, but still, a driving force for us four was an effort to devote ourselves to Sakurai-san.The strong effort. I don’t know how to say it… He shows me such care that is not needed to be shown to a person like me. Yes, he is very good.
PHY: He is a wonderful singer, right?
TA: That’s totally true. I don’t know if Sakurai-san now is different from what he was before, but saying it in one word, he really is an honourable man.
PHY: Despite of the fact that vocalist’s ego naturally wants to stand out.
TA: He doesn’t have this trait at all. His nobleness makes an unforgettable impression. You know what’s also astounding? At the time of PV’s recording, it was as if we were imitating a live performance. Usually when the PV is recorded, all sound is muted. Although it’s quite evident that at the video recording I’m playing without the sound, in fact it was completely live. Sakurai-san was in the frame, with his back capturing the sound of my drums. It was like a concert rehearsal.
PHY: I see.
TA: At this time Sakurai-san wasn’t much like that gentleman with his usual mild demeanor. He acted as I expected. He was the superstar Sakurai-san whom I saw when I was at high school. Sakurai-san announced the song and looked at me. Although it was just a moment when he seemed to give me a signal “Countdown initiated!”, during the first take I was petrified. At the moment my eyes met with Satan, I literally died right there.
PHY: Ahahahahahah.
TA: He has tremendous power of influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment